Two hunting dogs sensing greatness at Kokee State Park, on Kauai. I caught these two curious hunting dogs checking out my father in-law's high tech hardware recently. Creating inspiration and generating curiosity is not a new thing for Jim. Just imagine him as a boy, playing sports with early version wood prosthetic legs!
He was born without legs, but with 100% CAN. Throughout his entire life of 70+ years he has overcome adversity and preconceived notions of "can't" by others. He was told he could not play sports, pursue physical education as a teacher, or be part of football. So what did he do? He overcame all of it!
Jim playing baseball at the University of Washington video - here
His CAN. :
- Played any and all sports including baseball at the University of Washington
- Coached high school football as a head coach for decades in the state of Washington
- Raised an amazing family, one of which became an elite collegiate runner and later Division One distance coach at UNLV. And, one of the founders of Spirit of CAN.
- A movie was made about him titled "Never Look Down" #perfect
- After retiring from football, coach decided to take up the sport of golf. Yep, he won a National Championship in the National Amputee Golf Association! He still plays in his 70's and crushes the ball each and every time!
Believing in the Spirit of CAN. is his default setting:)
Jim paved the way for so many others to overcome physical and mental adversity! He's not only family, he's the most inspirational person we've ever known.
So, when "can't" enters your mind, imagine if self doubt is NOT an option. Imagine that out of pure life necessity you must believe in yourself and your goals. You will not only lift yourself up, but you'll change the minds of others that are filled with doubt and fear.
Help us spread the stoke and message of CAN.